Tuesday, October 23, 2012

First Semester Subjects

I'd like to share with you guys my first semester subjects and how I liked my professors. I know it might be sort of wrong to judge your teachers on your blog, but it might help them improve, too if ever they see it. I'm not going to include the grade I got for the teacher or tell you if he or she is an "easy uno" because as I have learned from my first semester in college, grades are something but they're not everything; what is the most important thing is that you've learned something from the subject and you had a fun time doing it.

English 10 (College English) - FALGUI, Raymond
A regular person might refer to him as a terror prof, but to me, he is one of THE best teachers I've had this semester. Sure, the papers we write were lambasted by his red pen with remarks and low grades. Sure, he wasn't the nicest person you can talk too but he teaches passionately and because of that, you actually grow to love the lectures he conducts. He has so much conviction in everything that he says that you begin to think of things in a different way if he wants you to think of it in a different way. The only problem with him is that he can be careless with his consultations and paper submissions. It left a lot of us confused but we got used to it. Overall, I think Sir Falgui was a teacher that made me appreciate going into UP and if I had to do Eng 10 again, I would take him.
Rating: 8 out of 10

Spanish 10 (Elementary Course in Spanish) - LUNA, Maria
What can I say,  she's a Spanish person teaching Spanish and she does a darn well good job of teaching. :) She goes through a lesson slowly so that everyone can understand it. She has an exam every after a lesson and that way, it makes it easier to ace the test. She has so much patience for all her students but she no patience at all for those who are always late or absent. She also makes the class close through the activities she made us do. She's the perfect teacher for someone who wants to learn the basics in Spanish and has no background on speaking the language at all.
Rating: 10 out of 10

Social Sciences 3 (Gender and Sexuality) - DALISAY, Soledad Natalia
She's a very busy woman. She's the head of the DGO or the Diliman Gender Office and she also has a PhD in Anthropology and she teaches Gender and Sexuality. Cool, right? Yeah, she is! Her style of teaching reminds me more of a convention or seminar than the ordinary classroom type. She is always out, though, because of her out-of-the-country trips and whatnot but we get to watch documentaries when she's not around and they are pretty interesting topics. Like we had one where they talked about transgenderism in different cultures and how they accept it. The sad thing is she's no teaching next sem (I think) because she's teaching abroad for the second sem. I really enjoyed this class! HAHAHA.
Rating: 9 out of 10

Math 11 (College Algebra) - ARICHETA, Victor Manuel
This is the sort of teacher that should lecture about Math. He's been teaching in UP for only 3 years or so, so he hasn't really forgotten what it's like to be a student which makes him a bit more understanding when it comes to his students. He does things in an organized fashion and he even jokes with the class to make the mood less serious. I wish I could have been more attentive on my part in this class because I think he's very considerate.
Rating: 10 out of 10

Geog 1 (Places and Landscapes in a Changing World) - CRUZ, Jayson
A lot of people have told me to take Geog 1 because they say it's an easy uno or a subject where it's easy to get high grades, but as the sem went along, I didn't really care about getting high grades as much as how I wanted to satiate my thirst for learning different concepts in Geography. All I can say is don't take his lessons lightly because once you get to his long exams, it's armageddon. It's saddening that this is his last sem in UP and that the next batches of UP students won't get to have him as a teacher but I guess it's time for him to move on. The best class in my first semester of college. :)
Rating: 10 out of 10

PE 2 Social Dance - SANGALANG, Michiko
You learn how to dance, basically. She's not a very strict teacher when it comes to the techniques and whatever else you need to know about dancing or maybe it's because my class was full of fast learners, but either way, she's pretty good in teaching and she's a nice person too! She makes you write into a journal every after meeting about your experiences and learning during the day and whatever else you want to express. A great and enjoyable experience.
Rating: 10 out of 10

I'm scared because half of the subjects I got from CRS have concealed profs and I just hope they teach well. Hope this helps some people pick out their subjects! :)

No comments: